Debbie Polishook, Accenture (System integrator)
Understand Content Strategy
- Know your content.
- Know your business model.
- Strategy drives project decisions.
- Think holistic, manage delivery.
Secure Project Sponsorship
- Find a sponsor at the business executive level (influential person across the organization).
- Sponsor keeps focus on business results.
- Helps secure scarce resources.
- Project advocate.
Involve All Stakeholders
- Many stakeholders – executives, users, technology, customers, authors, vendors.
- Organizational change management requires more effort than expected.
- Front office vs. back office solution.
- “Build it, they will come” will not work.
Scope, Solution Selections, Support, Scalability, Skills
- Begin with an articulated strategy.
- Identify and engage a project sponsor early.
- Identify and manage key stakeholders.
- Deliver something of value as soon as possible.
- Consider scalability requirements.
Chan Preston KPMG (System Integrator)
Understand the Big Picture First (Clear Plan, With Buy-in)
- Understand your workflow.
- Understand your users.
- Understand your content.
Don’t Trust Solutions Vendors
- Do a financial analysis.
- Coordinate with a business plan.
- Focus on differentiations.
- Evaluate with local data.
- Check references (Ask for similar content and environment situations, then visit. Did they use an integrator?).
- Seek experienced advice.
- Include everyone (don’t let communications fall apart).
- Develop measurements for improvement.
- Recognize that DCM is difficult.
Nicole Gnutzman, Thomson Learning (Multimedia Education)
- Reduce operating costs.
- Revenue opportunities; new products.
- Decrease cycle time.
- Track rights.
Based on XML
- Tag data once.
- Update in real time.
- Multiple products easily.
Business Case Development
- Determine revenue opportunities and cost savings; multiple options:
- Work with integrator (executives often trust integrators or consultants more).
- Work with cross-functional team (including finance).
- Still may not be enough because you are changing deep processes – change management.
- Deep Bridge’s white paper “The Financial Case for Content Management” www.deepbridge.com.
- Propose a pilot project; phase in the implementation.
- Track details.
Communication Strategy Plan and Execution
- Develop a strategic communication plan.
- Involve potential users in development.
- Ensure plan targets users, management, executive.
- Create a formal “on-the-road” presentation: Video of industry expert, strategy, super-user demonstration.
- Listen to feedback.
- Set up a standards committee.
- Develop standards and documentation for:
- File naming.
- Vocabulary management, keywording, and indexing.
- Archiving and content accessibility.
- Rights management.
- Digital Object Identifier – unique identifying number for smallest elements.
- Establish workflow standards and training based on those standards.
- Change management (organizational development).
Actual Process for Thomson Learning
Six months for pilot project or phased implementation. Initial pilot not for production “aim small, miss small.”
- Requirements gathering.
- Cost and Revenue analysis.
- Business Case Development at the same time as DTD development.
- Pilot requirements and workflow study (important).
- Pilot (training and communication plan).
- Communications plan execution.
- Standards Development.
- Workflow Analysis.
- Phased implementation.
Document history: 2/21/02